Regional Programmes - Online and On Site Orientation
Semester II, 2018/19
On behalf of the Programme Delivery Department (PDD), Academic Programming and Delivery Division, we extend a warm welcome to you to the UWI Open Campus. Your decision to study and achieve your tertiary educational goals with our institution is appreciated.
You are invited to an introductory orientation session online with PDD using Blackboard Ultra on December 6, 2018, at 5:00 pm Belize time /6:00 pm Jamaican Time /7:00 pm EC Time.
The link to access the orientation session is - Guest Link: https://ca.bbcollab.com/guest/f891fbea25014ce7a7b83e1ffab53c0b
NOTE: The BBC web conference tool works best with Google Chrome on a desktop/ laptop, however, users can download the mobile App see below:
Google Play Store - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.blackboard.android.bbstudent&hl=en
Apple App Store - https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/bb-student/id950424861?mt=8
Windows - https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/apps/bb-student/9nblggh08j8w
There is no need to configure or open the app, after downloading on the mobile device, just click on the meeting room link and it will launch the app.
Please note also that we have arranged four (4) phases of online orientation designed to prepare you for studying in our online environment. Please see detailed information on the four phases outlined below:
- Phase 1 (December 10 – 29, 2018) - Introduction to the Learning Exchange (You should log into this space as soon as you have accepted your offer and start going through the videos and the various activities to familiarize yourself with the contents of the course). Asynchronous activities will be done with you in the "Activity Room" during the period specified). The Intro to LE course will guide you on how to log in, navigate, communicate and troubleshoot problems in the LE.
- Phase 2 (December 27, 2018, to January 4, 2019) - Programme Advising with your Programme Manager. This phase will be a live session conducted via Blackboard Ultra and links will be available in phase 1. PMs will discuss programme structure and assist students with course registrations.
- Phase 3 (December 31, 2018, to January 20, 2019) - Programme Delivery Department Orientation (PDDO). This phase gives you the opportunity to engage with your classmates and staff of the Programme Delivery Department within the Learning Exchange and practice the skills learned in Phase 1. You will be given the opportunity to develop navigational skills - update your profile, upload assignments, participate in discussions, quizzes and other activities that you are expected to do in your registered courses during the semester.
- Phase 4 (January 21 – 26, 2019) - Course Orientation with your facilitators. Orientation will be done the individual courses that you registered for during this time. This will allow you to get an overview of the course, meet and start interacting with facilitators and peers, update your profile and complete orientation activities.
To access the Phase 1 & 3 Orientation spaces, please use the steps below:
- Go to the “Apply Portal” at http://apply.open.uwi.edu and log in to gain access to your Application Dashboard.
- User PIN: Login to the portal using your PIN (i.e. the PIN used in the application process) Password: This is the same password you used during the application process (there is a "forgot PIN/ Password” functionality you can utilize on the same interface, if you do not remember your PIN or Password). This will take you to the UWI Open Campus Admissions Portal.
- Select the button "Go to Online Orientation”. You will see “click to access orientation” button at the bottom left of the screen. Click on the button.
- This will take you to a page that gives you the option to select Undergraduate courses or Graduate courses. Click the link for Undergraduate courses – it will take you to the ‘Introduction to the Learning Exchange’ link.
- Click on the writing Introduction to the Learning Exchange to enter the course space.
(Note: Mozilla Firefox is recommended by the technical team as the more suitable Web Browser to use with our system. Some versions of Internet Explorer are not compatible with the Learning Exchange).
We are looking forward to your participation!
You are encouraged to participate in all phases of orientation as outlined above in preparation for the start of the semester on January 20, 2019.
All the very best to you!