BSc Banking and Finance (Compliance and Corporate Governance Minor) - For Students Registered Prior to 2019/20
This professional programme is offered in partnership between the UWI Open Campus and the Eastern Caribbean Institute of Banking and Financial Services (ECIB). It is best suited for candidates presently working in the banking and financial services sector and would like to specialize in an area of interest or persons who intend to pursue careers in the sector. Currently, to take this programme candidates must be located in one of the Caribbean countries served by the UWI since the programme includes a variety of assessment strategies. The UWI Open Campus Country Site (OCCS) facilitates examinations for courses assessed through a traditional face-to-face examination.
The BSC Banking and Finance (Compliance and Corporate Governance Minor) provides learners with an introduction to the core content, knowledge and skills in the field of banking and finance and provides an academic foundation and practical training for persons across the English-speaking Caribbean region who are interested in specializing in a core area of banking and finance. The programme offers learners the opportunity to focus on core courses that are complemented by a choice of elective and special purpose courses designed to meet the needs of banking and financial service providers. The programme places emphasis on the following:
- Development of practical skills and understanding of theory to better position learners to respond to the performance demands of the sector
- Practice driven activities and sharing of practical experiences that are linked to the structure and operations of institutions in the banking and financial service sector
- Development of requisite knowledge and attitudes, and application of skills aimed at enhancing the efficiency and effectiveness of operations in the sector
The assessment structure is practice driven and will include an emphasis on case studies and problem-solving that simulate the work environment, and projects that involve research on issues encountered as part of daily activities in the sector. Practitioners in the field will facilitate the courses in this programme.
Who is this programme for?
The programme targets the following categories of persons:
Investment analysts, portfolio managers, loans officers, underwriters and other loan servicing, banking and financial institution professionals who wish to enhance their knowledge or advance their career options.Those who are interested in starting a career in the sector or who wish to obtain training for a change of career path
Learners will be expected to complete a total of 90 credits, normally equivalent to 30 courses structured as follows:
- Thirty (30) credits or 9 compulsory CORE courses and 1 ELECTIVE course at Level I
- A minimum of forty-five (45) credits or 10 CORE compulsory, 3 ELECTIVE courses and a six (6) credit Practicum over Levels II and III.
- A maximum of fifteen (15) credits or 5 courses toward the chosen MINOR over Levels II and III.
Courses will be delivered using blended-learning modalities, including online tutorials, web conferencing and audio conferencing technologies. Learners must have access to a computer, a printer and fast-speed Internet. The online orientation is conducted before the start of the programme.
Award of the Degree
To be awarded an undergraduate degree you must achieve a minimum GPA of 2.0. This means that it is possible to pass all the courses in your programme and not receive your certificate because your GPA is under 2.0.
When will the programme start?
The programme starts in August and can be completed in a minimum of three academic years
Applicants should meet normal or lower matriculation AND have an acceptable pass in CXC-CSEC (General Proficiency) Mathematics or its equivalent.
An acceptable pass in English A in an examination of the Caribbean Examination Council (CXC-CSEC), or an acceptable equivalent AND one of the following minimum qualifications:
1. Holders of CXC-CSEC Certificates, General Certificates of Education (GCE) (or the approved
equivalents) who satisfy either Scheme A or Scheme B as stated below:
Scheme A: They possess FIVE (5) subjects of which at least TWO (2) must be GCE
Advanced Level (‘A’ Level)* passes, while the remainder may be acceptable passes
in the CXC-CSEC or GCE ‘O’ Level examinations.
Scheme B: They possess passes in FOUR (4) subjects of which at least THREE must
be GCE ‘A’ Level** passes, while the fourth may be an acceptable pass in the
CXC-CSEC or GCE ‘O’ Level examinations.
2. Holders of Certificates and Diplomas awarded by this University
3. Holders of an Associate Degree from the UWI, or from approved Caribbean tertiary level
institutions with a minimum GPA of 2.5
* Candidates who have passed two two-unit courses in a particular subject area fall
within the two ‘A’ Level matriculation standard (Reference Scheme A).
** Six CAPE units, including the two single-unit courses – Caribbean Studies and
Communication Studies will be accepted under normal matriculation
(Reference Scheme B)
Applicants should meet lower level matriculation requirements for admission to degree programmes:
1. Holders of five (5) CXC or GCE ‘O’ Level passes or equivalent, not necessarily obtained at the same sitting, as follows:
- English (A), and
- Mathematics or a foreign language, or an approved science (not Health Science), or additional Mathematics or Geography
- Three (3) other approved subjects not already counted above.
2. Persons over the age of 21 on the basis of their overall academic and professional attainments.
3. Holders of the approved certificates from the School of Continuing Studies, UWI with an acceptable pass in English Language
NOTE: The same subject cannot be counted at both CXC-CSEC General Proficiency and GCE ‘O’ Level.
English Language Proficiency Examination
All new students are required to participate in online orientation activities provided by the Programme Delivery Department at a date to be announced during July /August.
Visit your Department's Academic Calendarfor the most current information.