BSc Management Studies
BSc Management Studies (REVISED 2015/16)
Are you desirous of pursuing an undergraduate programme that provides a solid foundation on the principles and practice of management in the dynamic environment of the 21st Century? Well, the BSc Management Studies (General) is specifically designed for you - whether you are presently employed, own your own business or looking forward to be employed or managing your own business.
About the Programme
Although many managers focus on particular areas such as human resources, administration and finance, many have to operate across functions. The BSc Management Studies (General) programme takes a broad and general view of management, and is geared towards preparing individuals with the knowledge, skills and attitudes required to function at all levels within an organization. Graduates of the programme will demonstrate:
- Knowledge and skills to function in a diverse and global organizational environment
- Competence in the integration of concepts and theories across all functional domains of management studies
- Appreciation of contemporary issues faced by organizations - corporate governance; responsible leadership; gender, diversity and equality and their impact on the management of institutions
- Competence in the use and application of pertinent technologies
- Regard for the importance of ethical considerations in the execution of responsibilities and tasks
Who is this programme for?
The BSc Management Studies (General) targets persons who are currently working in any of the numerous areas of the management and administration within government ministries; private sector entities of business, industry and commerce; non-governmental organizations; educational institutions; and persons with an interest in the field of study.
Duration of Programme
The programme will be offered over 3 years (full-time) and 5 years (part-time).
Award of Degree
In order to be awarded the BSc Management Studies (General) degree, students must successfully complete the 90 credits as specified in the programme structure.
All courses will be delivered fully online. However, some courses may have face-to-face final examinations.
When will the programme start?
This offering of the programme begins in August 2015.
Applicants must meet the University’s normal matriculation requirements in order to be accepted into the programme. They must satisfy the requirements in either (a), (b), (c) or (d) below:
- Holders with CXC/CSEC and CAPE/GCE A Level qualifications having:
- An acceptable pass in CXC/CSEC English A or CAPE Communications Studies; AND
- An acceptable pass in CXC/CSEC Mathematics or its equivalent; AND
- One of the following minimum qualifications:
- either five subjects (at least two GCE A Level or CAPE) and the remainder acceptable passes in CXC/CSEC or GCE O’ Level; OR
- four subjects (at least three GCE A Level or CAPE) and the fourth an acceptable pass in the CXC/CSEC or GCE O’ Level
Note: Grade requirements for CXC/CSEC subjects are General Proficiency - Grades I or
II prior to June 1998 and Grades I, II, or III from June 1998
- Holders of five (5) CXC/CSEC or GCE O’ Level passes or equivalent, not necessarily obtained at the same sitting
- Entrants with a Diploma, Certificate or Associate Degree from UWI or an approved Caribbean tertiary level institution
- Persons over the age of 21 who have been out of school for at least five years, on the basis of their overall academic and professional attainments
English Language Proficiency Examination
The English Language Proficiency Test (ELPT) is used to assess whether persons applying to pursue undergraduate degree programmes at the UWI Open Campus possess a satisfactory level of writing and reading proficiency in English for university academic purposes. For detailed information on the ELPT, see English Language Proficiency Test.
- OOL1001 Orientation to Online
- IYRS1001 Improving your Reading Skills
- IYSS1001 Improving your Study Skills
- IYMS1001 Improving your Math Skills (if applicable)
- ECON0001 Remedial Mathematics (if applicable)